Friday, January 2, 2015

Man Booker Prize Reading Challenge

Man Booker Prize
Reading Challenge

official site

~*~

Last year I became more aware of the Man Booker Prize from a couple book podcasts that I listened to.

The prize, which celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2008 after launching in 1969, aims to promote the finest in fiction by rewarding the best novel of the year written in English and published in the United Kingdom.To maintain the consistent excellence of the Man Booker Prize, judges are chosen from a wide range of disciplines, including critics, writers and academics, but also poets, politicians and actors, all with a passion for quality fiction.

The winner of the Man Booker Prize receives £50,000 and, like all the shortlisted authors, a cheque for £2,500 and a designer bound copy of their book. Fulfilling one of the objectives of the prize - to encourage the widest possible readership for the best in literary fiction - the winner and the shortlisted authors now enjoy a dramatic increase in book sales worldwide.


After looking at the short and long lists for 2014, I found more than a handful that interested me. As I want to include more book prize winning and nominated books in my mix of reading, I am starting this personal challenge - Man Booker Prize Reading Challenge.

I plan to start off with the below list with no set deadline. I just plan on adding on to it with selections from the past and current short and long listed books that catch my fancy.

If you would like to join me with this challenge, leave a comment with a link to your blog or Goodreads (or wherever you will post your review).

~*~

Books on my reading list:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
by Richard Flanagan
-WINNER of the Man Booker Prize 2014
Amazon | Goodreads | my review -coming, DNF

how to be both
by Ali Smith
-art, historical, literature
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 short list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review

The Lives of Others
by Neel Mukherjee
-India, literature
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 short list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review

Us
by David Nicholls
-contemporary romance
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 long list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review

The Bone Clocks
by David Mitchell
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 long list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review -coming

Orfeo
by Richard Powers
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 long list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review -coming

The Blazing World
by Siri Hustvedt
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 long list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review -coming

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour
by Joshua Ferris
-literature, humor
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 short list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler
-on Man Booker Prize 2014 short list
Amazon | Goodreads | my review

~*~

* due to lack of interest, giveaway was cancelled

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu